July Mentor Monthly
July Focus: Finding Freedom
“But now, as God’s loving servants, you live in joyous freedom from the power of sin. So, consider the benefits you now enjoy—you are brought deeper into the experience of true holiness that ends with eternal life.”
Romans 6: 22 TPT
Week one: Discussing Freedom
Ask your mentee what the 4thof July means to them. Hopefully this will lead to a discussion of how America gained freedom by breaking away from Great Britain. Now, compare this to the freedom that Christ gave his life for- our freedom. He broke the chains of this world: death, sin, and disappointment to name a few. Because of his sacrifice, eternal freedom is offered to all who accept Jesus as the Lord and Savior of their lives.
Week two: Strawberilicious Family Fun Time
Include your mentee into your family fun time by making these easy, delicious treats!
Load your kids up (including your mentee) and head to Walmart. Start off by showing them how to pick out strawberries, (a careful glance over the entire container will show if there are bruises or if they are molded). Purchase a bag of white chocolate and some blue sprinkles. While checking out, challenge your mentee to do the talking by encouraging them to interact with the cashier. Make sure they look the cashier in the eye and thank them when the purchase is complete.
When you get home…
- Slowly melt the white chocolate
- Dip the strawberries in it
- Dip them in the blue sprinkle to create a festive theme that will remind them of your discussion last week about freedom!
Week Three: Fireworks!
Fireworks are so much cheaper after the 4thof July, so for this week’s activity take your mentee and kids to wherever discounted fireworks are sold! You can use this opportunity to educate your mentee about firework safety. The below list highlights important topics for you to discuss.
- Fireworks are never toys.
- Kids should never touch fireworks without adult supervision.
- Keep a safe distance away from the fireworks.
- Do not try to relight a firework if it has not gone off because it could still be active.
- Wear gloves with sparklers to keep them from burning your hands.
- Do not keep fireworks indoors.
- Tell an adult if other kids are playing with fireworks without adult supervision.
Week Four: Freedom from Tobacco
Use this video to explain the harmful effects of tobacco and the addictive nature of nicotine.